Saturday, January 28, 2006

My Name

What is in a name? Does my name serve any importance in representing me? Five letters and two syllables make up my name. Which part of me does that represent? I believe that a person’s name does contribute in their identity or character. Ozgur is the first name given to me by my parents. It means a lot to me. Because of the repetition of its use over time, it always belongs to me. It is only time and reappearance that creates familiarity with in me.

After I came to U.S. I had big time problems with my name. People were looking at me questions on their face after I told them my name. For this reason, if I did changed my name to something similar Oscar. It did not cause a lot of difficulty with those around me because they are already familiar with the name Ozgur and they accepted easily my new name Oscar. Whenever my new friends call me old friends did not surprised. Now I have a problem explaining my new names spelling because I still use the old spelling.

The meanings of people’s names though, are related to their self and personality. One of the main reasons why I think that a name does represent a person is because the parents choose a name at the time of a baby’s birth. We do not even select our own names but still our names connected to us and I believe it represents our characteristics. My name meaning in English is freedom. I always the rebel in our family and care about my own freedom more then any body in our friend hood.
I think our names can change with every shift of our beliefs. Your name is who you are; it takes very big part in your identity.

Ozgur Coskun
DenizOzgur.com




Watch the Movie



No comments: